Sunday, September 10, 2017

“Now, I can ask Jassi’s mother if our love was such a big crime?” : Mithu (husband of Jassi)


Key words: Jassi murder case; justice for jassi ; Mithu, Sukhwinder, Kaunke

 “Now, I can ask Jassi’s mother if our love was such a big crime?” : Mithu (husband of Jassi)

“I braved death and threats and fake police cases to see this day”

Jupinderjit Singh

 “I survived for this day only when the killers of my wife, Jassi, would be sent to India and face trial for her murder. I braved death and threats and fake police cases in 17 years of struggle for justice to see this day.”

Says Sukhwinder Singh alias Mithu reacting to the Canadian Supreme Court’s decision on Friday allowing extradition of Jassi’s mother Malkiat Kaur and maternal uncle Surjit Singh Badesha (Malkiat’s elder brother).

“Now, I can confront Malkiat Kaur face to face and ask her why she considered her daughter’s love for me such a big crime that she got her killed,” Mithu added, his voice choking.

After the murder on June 8, 2000 by 14 contract killers,  Punjab Police had charged both with conspiracy to murder Jaswinder Kaur alias Jassi for marrying Mithu against family wishes. Police charge sheet said both planned the conspiracy in Canada and got it executed in India.

Mithu drives a truck these days to earn a living and was on the road since early morning. “The whole purpose of my existence post Jassi’s murder is to see her mother and Uncle behind bars one day and pay for the crime,” he said.

“Jassi and I got married with honour. Her parents may have been mad at us if I had not married Jassi. We followed the sanctity of marriage. I am still her husband. I have spurned hundreds of marriage offers. I want to tell her mom my love was true and committed to Jassi in life and beyond,’ said Mithu, who did not budge despite false police cases against him and offers to crores of ruppes and land to withdraw his statement against Jassi’s mother and Uncle.

Mithu and Jassi’s story is a well known international honour killing case which has been subject of a movie, book and  documentary by the National Geogrpahic.

 Hailing the verdict, Mithu laments the Canadian government never allowed him to plead for the extradition in  their courts, “ I believe today that there is justice in Canada. The government had stone-walled my request to visit Canada  to pursue the case,” he said.

Sukhwinder Singh alias Mithu of Kaunke Khosa said he had weaved a life of love and happiness with Canada-born Indian girl Jaswinder Kaur Jassi in the late 1990s. But when they got married against the wishes of Jassi’s parents, the dream life could be lived for a few weeks only. Both were attacked by a group of contract killers allegedly hired by Jassi’s mother and an uncle. Jassi died. Mithu survived, but only to live a life full of sufferings.

Mihtu had recently moved the two-member Justice Mehtab Singh Commission of Inquiry into false cases registered by the Punjab Police in the last 10 years.  

The range of cases against him varies from rape, for which he spent three-and-a-half years in jail before his acquittal, to rioting, snatching and even drugs smuggling. He has been booked six times in different cases and has already been acquitted in four.

“The cops who arrested me were sympathetic, but they wanted me to forget all about Jassi and my fight for justice… I have even declined several marriage proposals coming my way. I can’t share my love for Jassi with anyone,” Mithu told The Tribune.

 “Every offer of a compromise I declined resulted in a new case against me,” he has claimed before the commission. His application has been registered and notices have been sent to the police.

“From an initial offer of Rs 10 lakh to the latest Rs 1.5 crore besides the ownership of 14 acres of land or a well-settled life abroad, the supporters of the accused have promised it all to me. But I can’t trade my love for all this. I just want Jassi’s mother and uncle to be punished for what they did to her and me,” said Mithu. His voice trembling in between as his torrid life flashes before his eyes. EOM


No comments: